Cheongpyeongsa (Cheongpyeong temple) at Obongsan

This temple was typical of the temples constructed during the Joseon Dynasty period. The Buddhist monk, Yeonghyeonseonsa constructed it as the Baekam Zen Buddhist temple in 973 A.D. It was substantially repaired by the government official, Yi Ui of Chuniudogamchangsa in 1068 A.D. and renamed Bohyeonwon. It was repaired for a third time by the retired government official, Yi Jahyeon in 1089 A.D. and renamed Munsuwon. During the reign of King Myeongiong of the Joseon Dynasty period, the Buddhist monk Bouseonsa repaired the temple once again and changed its name to Cheongpyeongsa. Ongoing repairs have been made since that time.
This temple became fundamental in the revival of Geosa Buddhism during the Goryeo Dynasty period and King Yeiong and King Injong sent Yi Jahyeon Goesa some incense and clothes. Naonghwasang practiced his 'religious virtue for a long time in this temple and Kim Siseup retired to the House of Seohyangwon here during the Joseon Dynasty period.
Paradise Hall was designated National Treasure No. 115, but the other buildings are newly reconstructed.
Some parts of the Hoejeonmun, the turning door and stone embankment have preserved their original features. The decorations and the harmony between the waterfalls and stone turtles give a good indication of the unique garden culture of the Goryeo Dynasty period. A three storied stone pagoda (Gongiutap), ruins of eight small temples, four stupa around the Hall of Hwanjeokdang, and stones carved with Chinese characters are left in the site.

This 3.08 meter three storied stone pagoda was constructed on a big rock on Hwanhuiryeong mountain pass. This pass is an old route to Cheongpyeongsa Temple. The roof stone of the third story was found in the valley, and the pagoda was restored for the second time in 1995. The pagoda is original except for the body stone of the third story.
This pagoda is Silla Kingdom in style with its three stories standing on a double podium. Corner and prop pillars are carved on the upper and lower part of the podium at a ratio of 2 : 1. Corner pillars are carved on the body stone of each story and the three roof stones have four step props. A Chaliu hole can be seen on the surface of the roof stone of the third story.
The body and roof of each story is made of one stone. The eaves are slightly uplifted. Pines, waterfalls, and rocks surround the pagoda and add to its beauty. Pagodas were usually constructed inside the temple grounds, but this pagoda was constructed in front of the temple. Legend says that the pagoda was named Princess Pagoda because the Pyeongyang Princess from China was cured of lovesickness by donating clothes to the Buddhist monks in Cheongpyeongsa Temple.

If you like to visit Obongsan and Cheongpyeongsa with a professional guide, please feel free contact to I am linving in Korea.


No comments:

Post a Comment